Every room is different, and this needs to be considered when thinking about home renovations. Whether you’re moving, remodelling or building a new room from scratch, the shape of the room affects what you can do with it.
Whether square, L-shaped or U-shaped, your room should be suited to your lifestyle, not the other way around.
Below are some pointers to get you through:
- Make a rough sketch of the room and include all the fixed features such as doors, windows, gas, electrical and plumbing points.
- Take precise measurements of the room. Don’t plan on filling the room to exact millimetre, leave some room for flexibility – filler boards can be used for gaps up to 150mm.
- Walls are never 100% straight. Take measurements at three different heights – the floor, cabinet level and top level (head height). Use the smallest measurement to work with, as this will ensure that everything fits.
- Consider the thickness of tiles when taking measurements, as this could affect the overall measurement if they are removed.
A kitchen remodelling comes with its own set of considerations namely:
- Start from the corner and plan outwards.
- Notice the direction that doors open and how far they swing outwards, as this may affect the usability of some appliances.
- Place your fridge and grocery cupboards at the entrance of the kitchen.
- Give yourself a shelf nearby, as this will allow room to place items from the shelf directly into the fridge, freezer and cupboards.
- Preparation and cleaning areas should be placed close to the sink. This will make life easier when preparing food and washing dishes.
- Cooking areas are best located around the range, stovetop and wall ovens.
- Store pots and pans near to the oven and stove.
- Appliances such as toasters, blenders, kettles and coffeemakers should also be around the cooking area.
Find out more about kitchen renovations
Home Decor Interiors has over 20 years of experience and during that time we’ve renovated hundreds of homes. We pride ourselves on being a premium kitchen renovator in the Western Cape. Let us help you customise or upgrade your dream home.
Contact us today for an obligation free quote